China Burma India Theater (CBI) (later IBT, or India-Burma theater) 1 China Burma India Theater (CBI) (later IBT, or India-Burma theater) 2 China Burma India Theater (CBI) (later IBT, or India-Burma theater) 3 China Burma India Theater (CBI) (later IBT, or India-Burma theater) 4 AIR-FIELDS IN MIDNAPORE World War II and now AIR-FIELDS IN WEST MIDNAPORE World War II and now AIR-FIELDS IN EAST MIDNAPORE World War II and now AIR-FIELDS IN MEDINIPUR World War II and now AIR-FIELDS IN MEDINIPORE World War II and now AIR-FIELDS IN MIDNAPUR World War II and now
7th Bombardment Group (1942–1945)  India (B-17, B-24).

Piardoba Outpost


Boeing maintenance specialists had finished their task. All B-29s inspected and tuned to go.* Official announcement—grounding period over, deployment to resume. Pleasant music to our ears—movin' on!

Early morning we were off to Karachi, India. Passed through designated defense corridor over Suez Canal and climbed to cruising altitude—engines purring beautifully. Route took us across Saudi Arabia—mostly obscured by fierce sandstorm raging below.

Skies cleared as we approached Persian gulf and on over Gulf of Oman—was impressed by the desolate ruggedness of region along south coast of Iran—ridge after ridge of steep, barren mountains without valleys—appeared beyond possibility of human habitation—or even passage. On across northern Arabian Sea to coastal city of Karachi.

Were provided sparse but adequate sleeping quarters on base—no opportunity to see city.

Next morning off for Piardoba—final destination. Flight seemed long across heartland of India—mostly flat terrain—passing cities with names reminiscent of Kipling—Hyderabad—Jodhpur—Jaipur—and Agra, where we circled low to take photos of the Taj Mahal.**

eaving Agra, route was southeast to destination—about 150 miles short of Calcutta. Circled over Piardoba for a look—a few scattered villages in mostly uncultivated, bushy countryside—a long runway with one large hanger—control tower—scattered clumps of low thatched buildings—a few ponds and trees. We put down to our new home.

The "Brass" had not yet arrived. Early crews had established an office where one pilot "volunteered" as operations officer—establishing some order. We reported in—were shown to quarters.

Duffel bag and B-4 in hand, I was led by English speaking Hindu to my "home away from home"—a room in one of several long, narrow thatched buildings—shade tree in front. Upon approaching, several Indians near the tree were in excited discussion. My guide spoke to them, then told me that a cobra had just dropped from tree and crawled around corner of my building. Had they killed cobra? Oh no—would never take an animal's life—snake or any other.

That was in mind as I looked over assigned room—about 8 by 10 feet—concrete floor—rough-hewn wooden doors front and back—small screened window in back wall (no glass)—thin timbers supporting roof of bare thatch—small rough-cut table and chair—narrow wood framed bed with cord laced across, hammock style—mosquito net. That was it. Cording on my bed was in tatters, hanging to floor. Guide said it would be fixed by bedtime. Fortunately, our gear included an air mattress and two woolen army blankets. Noted need to keep mosquito net snugly closed and not be wary about creatures—whatever unwanted variety—falling from thatch above—or entering open doors (only means of ventilation).

Outside back door was a dormant (I thought) termite-hill—seven feet tall. Fifty feet farther back was 4-holer out-house—served several buildings. Flies everywhere. Each morning, fuel oil was poured into pit and set afire in attempt to control maggots—little success.

Nearby was old-style rope and bucket well where we could draw water—kept in clay pots (self cooled by evaporation). Indian women came to well morning and evening to fill large pots which were carried on their heads. Several small Indian communities also on base—living quarters for workers—mostly native shacks located on small ponds of mud-colored water which served for bathing, washing clothes, and scrubbing babies, youngsters and cattle.

Officers' housing area was about half mile, by dirt road, from east end of runway. Nearby was small PX, hospital and outdoor movie theater (screen, projector and rows of back-less benches). On far side of runway were hanger, control tower, group and squadron administration, officers' mess, airmens' quarters and mess, and various maintenance and storage facilities. Some still under construction.

When darkness fell, sound of distant drums could be heard—from various directions—all through night (every night). Room too hot for sleeping until 11 pm. Pulled back mosquito net—bed repaired, as promised. Stretched out on folded woolen blankets—first night in new home—doors ajar—would cobra or jackal wander in?—poisonous spiders or scorpions drop from thatch above?

So, here I am—other side of world—wide awake—those drums! My mind reached back to earlier unusual sleeping places. Depression years—west coast—scratching for next year school expenses. Summer brought crop picking opportunities—different areas—different times. If it grew on trees or vines, I tried to get there—wherever harvest ready. Hitch-hiked—rode the rails, slept in box cars. Bedded down along roadsides, under fallen leaves or dried grass—on makeshift bed of sawdust in lumber mill where tin roof gave shelter from storm and nearby pit of smoldering sawdust provided warmth—on freight train crossing desert (Nevada to Utah) in open "gravel car" stacked with lumber—tight squeeze on metal floor—found how cold desert nights could be without jacket or cover. Thought about kindness of sheriff in Napa Valley who found me sleeping on Post Office floor—opened movie theatre so I could sleep safe from cold wind and be ready for first day of harvest—only asked that I close door when leaving. Diary of one year records 5,000 plus miles of such travel—such beds.

More remembrances—as lumberjack in north woods, had sweaty mattress in bunkhouse— as cowhand, ditto. In Forest Service—lookout tower anchored by cables on high mountaintop—had decent cot—night prowlers were bears, cougars, wolves—seldom saw another human. What the heck—these quarters just about par—are beating drums worse than clackity clak of wheels on rails? And I do much prefer job here. Fell into sound sleep—aroused by bugle call, 6 am.

The days were sunny—monsoon season yet to come. Temperatures up to120 degrees—no work between noon and 4 pm—aircraft too hot to touch.

Soon, last deployment B-29 had arrived—Col.Carmichael in charge. Squadron COs rallied their troops—work to be done.

The base at Pairdoba was a quickly assembled, bare bones but effective, community—sole purpose to send B-29s into skies against enemy. All elements played essential, interlocking roles—culminating in task of aircrews to deliver deadly payloads onto assigned targets.

We were now deployed—at this outpost of war—ready to enter battle—well, almost ready.

First task—carry fuel and munitions to forward base (A-5) at Kuinglai, China (across the hump—20 miles west of Chengtu—1,000 west of Shanghai). From A-5, targets could be reached in southern Japan, Formosa and Manchuria. Many "Hump" flights needed to accumulate sufficient fuel for first mission to Japan.

B-29s converted to temporary "tankers"—three 640 gallon fuel tanks installed in each of two bomb bays—interconnected by manifold system allowing fuel transfer between all tanks—including wing tanks. Didn't take long. Major Ben White, 770 th Operations Officer, announced our crew would take one of first B-29 flights across hump to A-5. New and exciting adventure lay ahead.


* We knew basic problems of the B-29 could not be remedied in a few days. Maintenance specialists had adjusted engines for hot climate as best they could. More importantly, they had taken note of design defects, such as: uneven cooling of engine cylinders (requiring re-direction of airflow over cooling vanes and better distribution of lubricating oil)—long cowl flaps causing too much drag (12 degree open position caused doubling of foot print pressure on aircraft)—unreliable cowl flap controls (upon failure, could cause cowls to stick in full open position— resulting in such drag that, if on outboard engine, could throw aircraft out of control). Modifications to fix these, and numerous other problems, began appearing on our aircraft over next three to six months.

** Later, I would have opportunity to visit Agra and stroll around and through the magnificent Taj Mahal. Toured old fortress nearby—fabulous adventure of its own. Also, visited new temple being built—under construction for fifty years— thirty more to go. Watched three workmen sawing stone building slab from huge rock—two pulling long, double handled, toothless steel blade—third pouring sand into cut, causing slow grinding of blade though stone. These and many more fascinating sights—unexpected bonus of overseas experience.

©  Richard L. Randolph  2002


Hellbird Herald

33d Fighter Group (1944–1945)

Share |
Suggestions - Legacy of East & West Medinipore District .



Best viewed with 1024x768 resolution and IE4.0 & Above || Copyright ©, All rights reserved.
This site is owned, designed and maintained by Arindam Bhowmik.